Days like this, I miss having Introspection. I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed and uninspired and like I have thousands of things to catch people up on. Just like 2.5 weeks ago, it’s time for bullet points:
- I spent most of the weekend (36 hours from midday Friday till the end of Saturday) at the Swarthmore Novice tournament. I had a blast, we had 3 teams go 3-2, I gave a workshop (which was filmed and may be visible at some point on the web), LO’ed the demo round, and judged through finals.
- On the way back from the tourney, we had an epic time, including me accidentally entering the Penn Turnpike via an EZ Pass lane (and later talking my way out of a $23.75 lost ticket fee at the exit), endless joking with three novices and one of the team’s juniors, and a torrential downpour throughout.
- Em’s birthday and accompanying party were yesterday, and both went very well. Emily is now thirty and thanks everyone for making her birthday such a great time. We had cake, ice cream, enough snacks to sink a ship, and board games at the end with the loyal folks who stayed a long time.
- Next hosted celebration: October 24th pumpkin carving. Evite to come soon.
- Em and I watched “The Notebook” last night, which both of us had somehow missed seeing. Though predictable at times, it was pretty amazing overall.
- For some reason, I’ve just been feeling uninspired on Duck & Cover lately. I don’t know if it’s feeling disconnected from politics, having disconnected from cable, or not finding much to be funny these days. I’m hoping to get over that soon.
- I haven’t written fiction in three days either, though the events of the weekend are responsible for that, not some lack of inspiration. The fact that three days feels like a major drought is a good sign.
- I can’t believe it’s not October yet. That’s also a good sign, that time is going slowly and is thus full, rather than flying by and seeming empty. Keep an eye out for the annual theme change ’round here soon.